Back in January I put up a survey asking a bunch of questions about what you thought about how I do things around this little blogville, how they could be improved and for you to tell me a little bit about yourselves. You guys were super wonderful and helpful and almost 3,000 of you took the time to respond!! Whoa. That is so amazing and flattering. And while it has taken me six months to really analyze the results - I've finally made my way through them and hope to incorporate what I've found as much as possible in the months!
Without further ado here is some of the feedback you guys gave:
Without further ado here is some of the feedback you guys gave:
ALL ABOUT YOU
Looks like Pinterest was the big winner for how you guys have found my blog amid the whole wide world that is the internet. Over 60% of you stumbled upon my site that way!
It's awesome to find out that almost 75% of you read here multiple times a week up to everyday! Glad you find it fun enough to come back so often!!
Seems like a pretty even distribution of ages between 20s and 50s. With highest group the same age as me - their 30s.
This one surprised me a little bit. I thought that in general lots and lots of bloggers read blogs. So I thought that it would be a bigger percentage of other bloggers as readers. But turns out 85% of you don't have a blog yourself. Very interesting! :)
DOING WELL & IMPROVEMENT
I loved hearing why you guys find it worth your time to come back to the site. And it was great to know that you do so for a variety of reasons from looking at pictures, to getting ideas for get dressed or helping you pack. It was also so great to get feedback some of your favorite things about the blog:
- "Relatable -- you wear real clothes from normal stores and attend a regular office job"
- "Great variety of inspiring work outfits!"
- "I appreciate the budget-friendly majority of your pieces! Makes me feel confident that it doesn't have to be all $$$ all the time!"
- "Your professional look. You incorporate sensible trends and affordable pieces. You aren't trying too hard to be "Fashionable" with a capital F!"
- "The packing inspiration I receive from your posts! I was able to go on a 10 day cruise with the hubby and only pack a carry-on! He was impressed! :)"
- "You wear the same brands I do and have the same style I do so I get tons of ideas about how to wear my clothing. I love seeing one piece multiple ways. It makes my wardrobe stretch further and opens up so many possibilities."
- "My job is pretty similar to yours, so it is extremely helpful to see how you creatively put pieces together. Your style isn't too wild--it's very classic--and I like that."
- "I love that your outfits give me ideas for what to wear that I wouldn't have thought to put together myself! (I'm a fashion dummy...)"
- "Outfits are easy to put together. I can duplicate without having to purchase all new clothes for one outfit. I feel like you live in the same 'world' I do. So often fashion/outfit blogs leave me feeling overwhelmed and hopeless. I have a very limited clothing budget but with Outfit Posts I leave feeling encouraged...I can totally make an outfit happen with what I already have! And for that I say "Thank-You""
- "I love the relational database/cross-referencing- flipcard view, being able to look at your monthly/annual summaries and looking at how you've worn any one piece multiple ways is fascinating. This is a very clever format that other fashion blogs don't have. Go programmer girl!"
My missing head just beat out my too long pants for the most annoying thing about my blog. A few (of many!) reasons given for not liking the fact I crop my head:
- "You blog is too impersonal without showing your head."
- "I wish you showed your head because I would love to see makeup/hair/earring inspirations to go with your outfits."
- "I think hair/makeup really completes an outfit so your missing head drives me crazy!"
- "Your too long pants. Dragging your hem on the ground is pretty unsanitary IMHO."
- "The head cropping of photos. It inhibits seeing overall proportions and color choice. Is there a way to maintain your anonymity and give a whole picture?"
- "I would love to see your face (not in a stalker way of course!)"
- "Cropped head. You can't be THAT ugly!"
- "I don't mind your missing head. I can more easily picture myself in the outfit."
- "I understand not including your head in the interest of your privacy!"
- "I kind of like the cropped head photos, it makes you really focus on the outfits!"
Majority of you like the types of posts I typically include. The winner of least liked type is the One Suitcase posts. I think it's really useful for me to hear what your least favorite thing on the blog are so I know how to focus my energy on stuff you like:
- "Suitcase posts. Just because they don't work for me personally, I don't travel much."
- "Seems like the outfits are getting pretty plain. Maybe do more accessories. Don't get me wrong, I'm a solids kind of girl, but I want to know how to spice them up a bit more."
- "I also sometimes think you could do so much better than the literal translation of outfits. Kinda boring because even I can take a magazine outfit pic and copy it for my own outfit piece by piece."
You guys seemed pretty evenly split between the types of posts I currently do. Which is great - it means lots of you are enjoying all the different ones. A few suggestion you gave me of things you'd like to see more of that I already do:
- "More celebrity inspired posts."
- "Date night/girls night outfits."
- "More cold weather clothing. I know you live in Florida but maybe you could occasionally do a post showing what you would wear somewhere colder?"
- "Maybe try more wildcards in your wardrobe that stretch your style."
- "More information around how do you decide on your daily outfit?"
- "I would like to see more casual outfits. Since I stay at home, most if the work post don't really apply."
- "I live up north (way north from you!) and would appreciate a few more colder (my cold) weather options, maybe with a coat option! I wish I could wear dresses in the winter, but that just isn't that possible!"
- "Would like to see more ways to use a suit.... Together, broken up with other items, etc."
Shopping suggestions, budgeting posts and tutorials were the three biggies in things you'd be interested in seeing from the list I provided. The other bonus on this question was feedback you gave me for things you'd like to see beyond the choices I gave - you guys had a TON of great suggestions! Here are just a few of the ideas you guys gave:
- One theme was incorporating trends:
- "Posts that focus on a certain fashion trend of the season and ways to mix and match with it (example: have a week where you post outfits that are inspired by or use a fashion trend of the current season…this will help me as I try to choose outfits that go with the season.)"
- "Using trendy pieces with basics"
- "How to add trendy pieces in a professional way."
- Another theme one was what to wear to holidays/events:
- "One topic I would like to see is work and casual outfit ideas for the holidays."
- "Maybe holiday/party style?"
- "Events-what to wear to...(weddings, parties, office events etc.)"
- "Special occasion outfits (wedding guest)"
- "Maybe specific occasion posts? Wedding attire (as a guest) ideas, Christmas Party dress ideas, etc"
- A third theme was cold weather clothing:
- How to dress in cold weather...like negative temperature cold weather.
- Cold weather clothing
- How to wear scarfs
- More in depth work outfit info:
- "Suggestions on building a work wardrobe"
- "Work outfits for specific events at work (meetings, presentations, lunch with your boss, holiday parties etc.)"
- "How to dress for more casual work outfits/casual friday"
- "Difference between Work Outfits and Casual Outfits for dummies"
- Hard to share all the suggestions you gave but here is a grab bag of a few other interesting ones:
- "Remixing, shopping your closet first, cleaning out closet - how do you decide what goes?"
- "Tips on accessorizing."
- "Day-to-Evening change-ups."
- "Maybe do a color series? If you have red pants, five different ways to wear them sort if thing."
- "I'd be curious what you budget is (not to pry), if you have one/how do you decide what to spend money on"
- "As mentioned above, I would love more budgeting posts, how often you shop, what you buy and how good about recycling things from your collection (like wearing an item for a year or two)"
- "Favorite places to shop/go to locations for clothing"
- "Let readers send in a photo of an item they are having difficulty styling....you help show how to style. for example, I have a black/grey striped skirt from Old Navy...only seem to wear it with black shirt."
And finally - I asked what other blogs you guys enjoy - here's a list of the top ten "Other Favorite Blogs" you guys listed. With only a few exceptions it was basically a list of what I read too! Great choices! :)