- Basics - First I pick some basics pieces to lay the foundation for the trip. I try to pick my favorite go-to clothes. Clothes I know I wear over and over. The ones that go with almost everything. For me, this usually involves laying out jeans, favorite shirts and a pair of super comfy wedges.
For the basics in this capsule wardrobe I chose a light knit cardigan, white jeans, navy blazer and a white crepe blouse.
- Interest - Second, I add a few interesting pieces to compliment the subtle
basics. I look for pops of color or fun patterns or even texture that will make the
basic pieces more exciting. I try to grab items that will compliment
each other or at least be somewhat in the same color scheme.
For this capsule wardrobe I chose a chevron dress, pink shorts and a teal patterned blouse.
- Accessories & Shoes - Finally, I
add some accessories to complete the outfits. Jewelry, belts and scarves
take up very little room and can dramatically alter how an outfit
looks. Unfortunately, shoes is the area I still struggle with. I always
want to bring just one more pair. But I've learned to limit myself to
only either blacks or browns (depending on my clothes) and then
nude/beige shoes go with everything.
For this capsule wardrobe I chose two necklaces, one gold watch and two belts (not shown). For shoes I packed wedges and sandals.
- Wedges - ShoeMint "Nicole"
- Woven sandals - Ralph Lauren Outlet
- Sunburst necklace - House of Harlow
- Teal cluster necklace - H&M
- Gold link watch - Michael Kors
- The Result - Here are the 9 outfits I put together from the 7 pieces of clothing!
- The outfits! - Here's an outfit by outfit run down piece by piece.
- One suitcase proof of concept* - Here's the individual pieces unpacked and packed up.**
*These 'one suitcase' posts don't include personal items, makeup, undergarments, etc - I think there are many, very comprehensive lists like that on the internet that would do a better job then I would.
**My bag is totally tattered & stained. I've had it for over ten years. Sorry if it's gross! :)
You can check out my three other One Suitcase features with Business Casual clothes here, Summer Vacation clothes here and Winter Vacation clothes here:
(Next up - I am working with a good friend of mine who has Europe travel plans this summer to put together a big Europe one suitcase post.)